[rfc-i] SVG elements not removed

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Tue Dec 12 08:37:21 PST 2017

On 12/11/17 2:03 PM, Nevil Brownlee wrote:

> Hi Jim:
>
> Hmm, looking back through my svg-check.py code, I see that I left the
> colour grey (an all the various html ways of specifying it) in for
> SVG-RFC, along with linearGradient and radialGradient.
>
> My recollection is that not allowing colour was an access consideration,
> but - to me at least - allowing shades of grey would be OK.
> If we agree that they shouldn't be there, I can certainly take them out
> of a new draft, and out of the rnc syntax.
>
> Heather, what's your opinion on this?

Color and greyscale are a step too far for us at this time, and for the
foreseeable future.

RFC 6949, Section 3.2:

      8.  Graphics may include ASCII art and a more complex form to be
          defined, such as SVG line art [SVG].  Color and grayscale will
          not be accepted.  RFCs must correctly display in monochromatic
          black-and-white to allow for monochrome displays, black-and-
          white printing, and support for visual disabilities.

-Heather