[rfc-i] SVG elements not removed

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 19:53:49 PST 2017

On 12/12/2017 15:12, Matthew Kerwin wrote:
> On 12 December 2017 at 11:51, Jim Schaad <ietf at augustcellars.com> wrote:
>> For me the question would be how many different grays will I be able to
>> distinguish when reading on my kindle.  My printer would do a better job of
>> distinguishing different grays.
>>

> Arbitrary straw man:
>
> * use the old "web safe" greys: #333333, #666666, #999999, #CCCCCC
> * allow greyscale gradients from any allowed shade to any other
>
> Is anybody concerned about halftoning or stippling or any of that?

I think we should be concerned about function before beauty. I'm not
against allowing a grey/black distinction, which should be unmistakable
with most rendering methods or printers, but anything more subtle than
that is simply not robust for the kind of world-wide and timeless
access to RFCs that we want.

To be specific, a drawing that attempts to use
http://www.htmlcsscolor.com/hex/333333 as distinct from black would
be useless IMHO. #666666 and #999999 will be hard to distinguish,
and #CCCCCC might be too faint with a fading ink cartridge. So I think
we should be rather conservative and, if we leave grey-scale in,
encourage people to use only a single medium grey, say #666666 .

I have no idea whether SVG allows such a restriction.

     Brian

P.S. An upvote to the fine folks at http://www.htmlcsscolor.com/
What a nice site.