[rfc-i] How do drafts get section links?

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu Dec 7 22:02:25 PST 2017

On 2017-12-08 01:11, Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:
> Hi RFC folks,
>
> We noticed in
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2017OctDec/0401.html
> that some drafts
> (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-origin-frame-04#section-1,
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-expect-ct-02#page-5) have
> text like "([RFC7540], Section 9.1.2)" or "Section 3.2.6 of RFC 7230"
> deep-linked to the right section in the target RFC, while other drafts
> (https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-yasskin-http-origin-signed-responses-01.html#proposal),
> the editors' draft at
> http://httpwg.org/http-extensions/origin-frame.html#introduction, and
> the output of
> https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/cgi-bin/xml2rfc-dev.cgi?url=https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/raw/master/draft-ietf-httpbis-origin-frame.md&inputtype=kramdown&modeAsFormat=html/ascii#the-origin-http2-frame
> don't have these deep links.
>
> What's the right way to get deep links to sections from kramdown-rfc2629
> source?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeffrey

These are produced by different processors:

- rfcmarkup operates on plain text source and attempts to add the links;
most of the times it gets it right, but only most of the time

- xml2rfc operates on the XML, which currently has no way to express
this (without extensions), and does not attempt heuristics

- rfc2629.xslt operates on the XML and supports this through an
extension, but kramdown-rfc would need to use it

That said, I'm experimenting with a post processor that applies these
heuristics at the XML level; see for instance
<https://www.greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-origin-frame-04.html>.

Best regards, Julian