[rfc-i] How do drafts get section links?

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Thu Dec 7 16:47:30 PST 2017

Hi Jeffrey,

On Dec 8, 2017, at 01:11, Jeffrey Yasskin <jyasskin at chromium.org> wrote:

> What's the right way to get deep links to sections from kramdown-rfc2629 source?

(Sections of other documents, that is.)

RFCXML version 2 has no way to do this, so kramdown-rfc doesn’t support it.

So why are you seeing links on tools.ietf.org (and only there) where there aren’t any?
The .txt to .html converter at tools.ietf.org has some heuristics that allow it to identify references to sections of other RFCs.  These heuristics sometimes fail to notice (and famously sometimes point to the wrong document, leading to spurious errata about problems that aren’t even in the RFC), but they are better than nothing.

Now how is the syntax for deep links into documents going to look like in kramdown-rfc when we add RFCXML v3 support?
I don’t know yet.  But I note that essentially the same heuristics that work on .txt files on tools.ietf.org might work in a markdown source document (and, if they don’t, the author can still set a manual xref [er, relref, if that thing stays in v3]).

(CCing rfc-markdown, as the question is of interest there, too; please trim the CC list if you just want to vent about relref, as you probably should at this point.)

Grüße, Carsten