[rfc-i] Two drafts showing the advantage of the new format

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Thu Aug 17 08:57:01 PDT 2017

On 8/16/17 6:18 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 17 August 2017 at 11:13, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:
>> Note that at least one IAB member at the time thought the plan was to modify the rfcs in question in light of experience.  I believe said IAB member made this point at a plenary.
> So rather than leaning on past precent, I have to say that the
> difficulty of getting colour right here exceeds the value it brings at
> this point in time.  I'm not sure, but those people with trouble
> distinguishing red and green would find this particular draft
> challenging.

The challenges with color are significant, ranging from accessibility
issues to cultural sensitivities to editorial training.  Nothing in any
of those areas has changed enough for me to be willing to open the
discussion on whether or not we should start allowing color with the new
format. If nothing else, I would like to have a few years of experience
in hammering out the new format before we open up this particular can of
worms.

-Heather