[rfc-i] Two drafts showing the advantage of the new format

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Wed Aug 16 17:45:32 PDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 8:30 PM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:

> On 16 Aug 2017, at 17:22, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>
> On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 7:10 PM, Adam Roach <adam at nostrum.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The diagrams in the new format will not allow colors. You're going to
>>> want
>>> to use some other mechanism to indicate what you are currently intending
>>> color to mean.
>>>
>>> Perhaps we should let IETF participants see and decide for themselves?
>>

> The IETF did that during the various discussions on draft-iab-svg-rfc,
> which became RFC 7996.
>
> Until you have a working toolset, all you have is suggestions.
>>

> You have an RFC to work from. If you want to re-open the discussion based
> on your experience, you can certainly do so. There is an issue list at:
>    https://github.com/rfc-format/draft-iab-svg-rfc-bis

​If you really want to make things unpleasant you can always add a css
attribute

​svg
 {
    -webkit-filter: grayscale(100%); /* Safari 6.0 - 9.0 */
    filter: grayscale(100%);
}​

​Then folk who want to can drop it out in a local stylesheet.

​It is likely that there are going to be rather more challenges for using
SVG for quite some time to come.