[rfc-i] Sooo has anyone tried actually printing the new HTML style??

Adam Roach adam at nostrum.com
Sat Aug 12 13:43:20 PDT 2017

On 8/11/17 3:01 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2017-08-11 21:39, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>> The problem is that SVG drawings almost always have an embedded style
>> sheet. And anyone who has three drawings in a document is likely to
>> use the same tool for all three. And the tools generally create
>> styles named st1, st2, etc and restart the numbering for each document.
>>
>> I had no problem either. Not until I tried to use the tool on a real
>> paper that has four diagrams and then it went all kablooey.
>
> Thanks for the details.
>
> AFAICT,
> <https://www.greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc7996.html#rfc.section.A>
> doesn't allow a style element in RFC SVG - is this something we should
> have allowed? And if so, how would it be expected to work in real
> world user agents?

That would seem to be an inconsistency between the prose and the schema;
see <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7996#section-2.1>. I am almost 100%
certain that the prose is what is intended. Relax NG schema isn't really
my strength -- Julian, can you file an erratum and see that
<https://www.rfc-editor.org/materials/format/SVG-1.2-RFC.rnc> gets updated?

/a