[rfc-i] Capitalization of "working group"

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Tue Apr 18 10:30:24 PDT 2017

Hello all,

Interesting thread.

I am sympathetic to how capitalization rules can be confusing to
everyone (not just non-native English speakers). That said, I think
simply requiring "Working Group" in all instances is not really the
right approach for a variety of reasons. For one, it's really not a
unique term of art; other SDOs (e.g., IEEE - see
https://standards.ieee.org/develop/wg.html) use "working groups" as
well. For another, being able to talk about working groups as opposed
to, for instance, the Internet Area Working Group, is useful.

In this case, the RFC Editor will stick with the CMOS guidelines about
capitalization, which summarized say that when used as a proper noun, we
will capitalize it. When used as a common noun, we won't.

Hope that helps,
Heather