[rfc-i] Capitalization of "working group"

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Wed Apr 12 08:14:23 PDT 2017

Capitalization in English has followed John Hart's rule that the first word
in a sentence and proper nouns are capitalized since the mid 17th century
(Hart died in 1574). The practice was well established long before the
beginning of compulsory schooling in Victorian times.

I suggest that this is a case where it is unnecessary for the IETF to vary
what is already the standard.

If we refer to the SPLUNGE Working Group, then 'Working Group' appears as
part of its title and is thus a proper noun and is thus capitalized. If we
are talking about what a working group is doing then it is not.