[rfc-i] Fwd: Re: Old Errata

HANSEN, TONY L tony at att.com
Wed Sep 14 07:19:23 PDT 2016

One problem I see is that there’s essentially only a single ping to the IESG or RFC Editor, with no subsequent follow up. Things get stale when that initial ping gets lost or ignored. This might be an action item for the RFC Editor to enhance the pinging mechanism.

I’m really glad that the editorial errata are now being taken care of by the RFC Editor; having the IESG spend time on those always troubled me.

For the older Errata regarding RFCs that have become obsolete, an “overtaken by other events” might be an appropriate response.

However, for still active protocol RFCs, someone trying to implement the protocol really would be served by having responses. Is an erratum saying that “an ABNF production is wrong” correct or not? Right now, the developer will be forced to make a decision that may or may not be proper.

I’m not saying that it is the IESG that has to make these determinations – delegation of responsibility can be a useful tool, after all.

                Tony