[rfc-i] Unicode in ABNF (in RFC) draft-seantek-unicode-in-abnf-01.txt

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Oct 3 02:53:55 PDT 2016

Hello Sean,

A few quick comments from a cursory reading:

First, I note that the choice you have made for representing Unicode
codepoints seems to be the same that we made for RFC 3987, which is the
one that I think RFC 5234 and its predecessors also implicitly suggest.
If you have seen some discrepancies, I would appreciate a pointer. You
may also want to reference some of the

In the Introduction, you mention security problems, but they are not
detailed (no specifics, no examples) there and neither in the Security
Considerations section.

In contrast to ASCII, Unicode (in any of its encoding forms) essentially
introduces multiple levels at which protocols can be described: bytes,
[code units (in the case of UTF-16xx),] code points, grapheme
clusters,... I'm fine with limiting this document to the code point
level, which is clearly what we need now, but it would be good to say
somewhere at least that this document doesn't deal with other levels.

Starting sections/paragraphs with parentheticals (e.g. "(Consult Section
2.3 of [RFC5234] in relation to this paragraph.)") is far away from good
writing. At the minimum, put these parentheticals at the end of the
paragraphs, but even better would be to convert them to actual text (in
most cases still at the end of the paragraphs) and say explicitly what
the "relation" is. (RFC 7405 looks much better in this respect.)

In the appendix, there are a lot of mostrosities such as
"UVCHARBEYONDLATIN1". Why not change that to something a bit more
readable, at the minimum something like UV_CHAR_BEYOND_LATIN_1 or so?

I don't see the point of defining aliases for C1 controls; it should be
difficult to use these explicitly, not easy.

For some of the aliases, a property-based approach seems to be the right
thing to do, although this may be difficult to align with the ABNF
straightjacket.

The draft says:
    Formally, this document updates [RFC5234] but does not modify it in
    situ. Authors need to reference this document if they want to include
    these enhancements; bare references to [RFC5234] do not include this
    specification (or, for that matter, [RFC7405]).
There's no text whatsoever in RFC 7405 that would say that it doesn't
update RFC 5234 directly. But I may be missing something. Please clarify.

I don't see the need to use %su for Unicode strings. The code points
speak for themselves, just use %s. Leaving %i/%iu undefined for Unicode
is indeed advisable, although it could be based on default case folding,
but we know that this would be imperfect, in particular for Turkish.

Section 6 uses an example with actual Unicode characters. I'd definitely
wait for the new way of publishing drafts/RFCs before the final
publication of this document, so that this example (and hopefully a few
more) can use actual Unicode characters.
(I'd also change 'notated' to 'annotated'. (several occurrences))

That's about it, hope it helps.

Regards,   Martin.