[rfc-i] Unicode in ABNF (in RFC) draft-seantek-unicode-in-abnf-01.txt

Sean Leonard dev+ietf at seantek.com
Sun Oct 2 23:28:37 PDT 2016

Dear ABNF-Discuss (and rfc-interest):

This draft by Chris Newman and I addresses an interesting topic: how to
do Unicode in ABNF. Unicode has showed up in several different ways in
protocols that are described in ABNF. These ways are not consistent
across the RFC series, but now that Unicode is a pretty stable standard
(for its basic parts) and now that UTF-8 RFCs are becoming a reality per
draft-iab-rfc-nonascii-02, it is a good time to look at this issue. This
is a fork from draft-seantek-abnf-more-core-rules.

This draft is currently proposed as Experimental. Special thanks to Paul
Kyzivat for discussing the matters in this draft, although he is not
formally a co-author.

The draft tries to be very conservative in its approach. Please read the
draft for details. Some stuff was intentionally omitted as out-of-scope
or too complicated for a general-purpose ABNF syntax parser, whether
humans or machines.

Comments and feedback are appreciated.

Regards,

Sean

********

A new version of I-D, draft-seantek-unicode-in-abnf-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Sean Leonard and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-seantek-unicode-in-abnf
Revision:	01
Title:		Unicode in ABNF
Document date:	2016-10-01
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		11
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-seantek-unicode-in-abnf-01
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-seantek-unicode-in-abnf-01

Abstract:
    This experimental document adds support for Unicode strings in ABNF
    (Augmented Backus-Naur Form), and provides certain symbols related to
    Unicode code point ranges.