[rfc-i] draft-iab-xml2rfc-02 and draft-flanagan-nonascii feedback: Internationalization Considerations and 7760

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu Mar 24 09:39:06 PDT 2016

Full names aren't unique either.  People also change their names over time.  How much do we care about the stats being perfect?

If possible, I'd like to build the system we've spec'd out here, then after we have a little implementation experience, starting with requirements for the next version.  One of the things we could begin discussing is creating accounts for authors, giving each account a unique ID (such as a UUID), having the submission tool check the email addresses that are used by the author, ensuring that each author has a valid account, then injecting the UUIDs into the document in the preptool step.

When we do that, I expect vocal community outcry about how we're tracking them and putting up hurdles to document submission, and whether those downsides are worth some small improvements in our statistics.

I don't want that (long) conversation to keep us from shipping this version.

--
Joe Hildebrand