[rfc-i] [IAB] draft-iab-xml2rfc-03, "1.3.3 Elements and Attributes Deprecated from v2"

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Mar 15 15:51:20 PDT 2016

On 15 Mar 2016, at 15:01, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:

> On 3/15/16, 12:55 PM, "IAB on behalf of Julian Reschke"
> <iab-bounces at iab.org on behalf of julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:
>

>> <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-iab-xml2rfc-03.html#rfc.section.1.3.3>:
>>
>> "Deprecate the "none" values for the "format" attribute in <xref>
>> because it makes no sense semantically."
>>
>> That's incorrect -- an xref with format=none still represents an
>> internal link, even though no extra text is generated. In formats
>> that
>> support linking (so anything except plain text) it is supposed to be
>> mapped to a simple link. For instance:
>>
>>   <xref format="none" target="x">FOOBAR</xref>
>
> I think the intent is that anytime there is text inside the xref, it
> acts like format="none", and the format attribute would be ignored.

I think what Julian may be objecting to is that the case of
format="default" with content is incorrectly defined. It currently says:

       The "derivedContent" attribute will contain a text fragment that
       describes the referenced part completely, such as "XML" for a
       target that is a <reference>, or "Section 2" or "Table 4" for a
       target to a non-reference.

It should instead say "If there is no content, the "derivedContent"
attribute will..." I will fix that for the next draft.

--Paul Hoffman