[rfc-i] [IAB] draft-iab-xml2rfc-03, "B.2.1 Overlapping Values"

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Tue Mar 15 14:38:37 PDT 2016

On 3/14/16, 3:46 PM, "IAB on behalf of Julian Reschke" <iab-bounces at iab.org on behalf of julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

>a) What is "pn" for a section that is unnumbered? I assume numbers are
>still assigned, just not displayed?

Yes.  Note that unnumbered sections can't have numbered sections that follow them.  Paragraphs in unnumbered sections still get pilcrows that are numbered as if the section had been numbered.

>b) Don't we need "pn" on <references> (as they get numbered as regular
>sections)?

Yes.  I think Paul just added that.  This relates to our conversation last week.  I still think it might be nice to add a <referencesection> element to contain multiple <references>, which the preptool would add when needed.  <referencesection> would get the pn of the next top-level section (e.g s-4), and each <references> would be numbered as if it was a child section (e.g. s-4.1).  If there is only one <references>, it gets a top-level number.  I think this would be nice so that each output formatter doesn't have to make a separate decision about whether to gin up a top-level section or not.

I think where we might have ended up last week was to just add the pn to <references>, and keep the output formatters more error-prone.  I can live with that, if that's what everyone else wants.

>c) Why is "pn" for <boilerplate> numbered when it can only occur once?

Ah, you're right, that text in preptool is confusing.  The <boilerplate> itself shouldn't get a pn, but the sections therein should have pn's of s-boilerplate-1 and s-boilerplate-2, with all of their subsections and parts being numbered accordingly.

--
Joe Hildebrand