[rfc-i] draft-iab-xml2rfc-03, "1.3.3 Elements and Attributes Deprecated from v2"

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Mar 15 11:55:29 PDT 2016

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-iab-xml2rfc-03.html#rfc.section.1.3.3>:

"Deprecate the "none" values for the "format" attribute in <xref>
because it makes no sense semantically."

That's incorrect -- an xref with format=none still represents an
internal link, even though no extra text is generated. In formats that
support linking (so anything except plain text) it is supposed to be
mapped to a simple link. For instance:

   <xref format="none" target="x">FOOBAR</xref>

would become in

...so this is the most basic linking functionality I can think of.

And yes, it is used in RFCs (in the XML that was submitted to the RFC
Editor), an early example being RFC 5854, where it was used to link
names of XML elements to their definitions.

As a matter of fact, we did this in RFC 7749 as well, and so does
draft-iab-xml2rfc (which tries to deprecate it :-). (*)

Best regards, Julian

(*) yes, because my tool chain generated it automatically, but still...