[rfc-i] draft-iab-rfcv3-preptool-01, "5. What the v3 Prep Tool Does"

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Mar 14 13:46:19 PDT 2016

The document gives details of what the tool will do, but could benefit
from an introductory section that has some basic, higher-level
statements explaining the goals of the tool. The paucity of useful
motivational information in the Abstract demonstrates this basic need.

Scanning the extensive list of the details in the document, I think the
gist of the goals is:

    1.  Format canonicalization

    2.  Quality control

    3.  Resolving external references, to permit the document file to be
entirely standalone.

    4. Adding pro-forma content needed for the next stage of document use.

    5. Strip content no longer needed

To the extent the above is not correct, an accurate one should be
provided.

I also suggest re-organizing the 43 detailed actions into these
sub-categories, so that the list is more coherent and understandable.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking