[rfc-i] Non-ASCII in author names

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Mon Mar 14 11:14:29 PDT 2016

On 3/13/16, 5:06 AM, "rfc-interest on behalf of Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)" <rfc-interest-bounces at rfc-editor.org on behalf of rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:

>I am struggling a bit with this; I do not prescribe the specific tags
>around the implementation of the guidance in this draft. Are you
>suggesting that I verbally describe what's in the examples? For example:
>
>"In both the front page header and the references section, when a
>non-Latin script is used, the fullname of the author is required. If an
>author chooses to use a name with non-ASCII characters outside the
>Unicode Latin blocks, an ASCII-only equivalent is required in
>parentheses next to the name."

I think if I had the input XML for the examples, I would have everything I needed.  Right now, since I don't read either of the languages in your examples, I don't know which bits go where.

>>> Initials are supported and encouraged if available.
>>
>> This too seem to be for the v3 spec, yes?
>
>I am not sure - it is not a requirement, but it needs to be supported.
>Does that involve any changes to the spec?

It should probably be mentioned in the v3 spec, at least to the point of pointing at the non-ASCII draft for further requirements.  The prep tool will likely have to enforce these requirements, since the existing idnits tool is going to break on these names.

>> But still, the nonascii draft should specify how all the names given in
>> Joe's earlier message would be displayed.
>>

>I'll work on that as soon as I'm sure if my example above is what you're
>suggesting.

Ideally, you'd give me examples of XML for all of the legal combinations of ASCII and non-ASCII, as well as how they rendered.  I would be ok with these being given over email, having me include them in the HTML prototype to ensure they render as you like, then abstracting back out whatever rules are needed for the prose of the non-ASCII draft, as well as enforcement rules in the preptool draft.

--
Joe Hildebrand