[rfc-i] Non-ASCII in author names

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Sun Mar 13 04:06:23 PDT 2016

On 2/29/16 12:41 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On 28 Feb 2016, at 10:04, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
>
>> 2. To clarify the structure and use of author names, the following has
>> been added to Section 3.2:
>> In both the front page header and the references section, when a
>> non-Latin script is used, the fullname of the author is required.
>
> Section 3.2 is about how to display names that also have non-ASCII
> components. What you wrote there seems like it is for the v3 format
> document. What the nonascii document should say is exactly how to
> represent names when there are non-ASCII components given. The document
> currently doesn't specify the display: it only gives simple examples.
> Having specific text is needed for the format documents.

I am struggling a bit with this; I do not prescribe the specific tags
around the implementation of the guidance in this draft. Are you
suggesting that I verbally describe what's in the examples? For example:

"In both the front page header and the references section, when a
non-Latin script is used, the fullname of the author is required. If an
author chooses to use a name with non-ASCII characters outside the
Unicode Latin blocks, an ASCII-only equivalent is required in
parentheses next to the name."

> As for the requirement for the XML, do you mean:
>
>    If any of the "asciiFullname", "asciiInitials", or "asciiSurname"
>    attributes of the <author> is present, the "fullname" attribute
>    must also be present.
>
> If that's what you mean, I can add that to the prose of the v3 document
> and the preptool document. If not, please specify what you meant so I
> can figure out what the other documents need to say.

Yes, that is what I mean.

>> Initials are supported and encouraged if available.
>
> This too seem to be for the v3 spec, yes?

I am not sure - it is not a requirement, but it needs to be supported.
Does that involve any changes to the spec?

> But still, the nonascii draft should specify how all the names given in
> Joe's earlier message would be displayed.

I'll work on that as soon as I'm sure if my example above is what you're
suggesting.

-Heather