[rfc-i] [IAB] draft-iab-xml2rfc-03, "2.19 <displayreference> "

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Wed Mar 2 09:14:26 PST 2016

On 3/2/16, 10:04 AM, "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

>> I disagree.  Once a document comes out of the preptool, there's *exactly* one place to get all of those bits of information.  That's the whole point of the preptool, is to refactor a bunch of logic that would otherwise have to be in all of the output formatters.
>
> From the preptool's point of view, maybe.
>
>However, other formatters (such as mine) will now have to deal with two
>places this information can come from.

Then your formatter is acting as it's own preptool.  If you ran the preptool on your inputs first, your output formatter would get a good deal smaller.

Anyway, I really don't want to revisit the whole idea of the preptool at this point, unless you want to propose a full system that would not require it.  We've been working with this approach for a couple of years, and it seems to be a good fit for the requirements.

>>> b) the size of the V3 vocab.
>>
>> I understand this concern.
>>
>>> The latter point could be mitigated if we moved all preptool decorations
>>> into a separate namespace.
>>
>> I would be fine with that, but it will take quite a bit of effort.  Let's make sure it's really required before starting.
>
>It's mainly an editorial/tooling issue. I can try an example patch to
>the V3 spec...

Enumerating all of the elements and attributes that are only ever used by the preptool is the hard part to get completely correct.

--
Joe Hildebrand