[rfc-i] [IAB] draft-iab-xml2rfc-03, "2.19 <displayreference> "

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Wed Mar 2 08:45:17 PST 2016

On 2016-03-02 17:30, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
> OK, here's an approach that would simplify things a little bit for the output formatters:
>
> - add a reference/@targetdisplay attribute
> - after the preptool has included all references
> - have the preptool fill in reference/@display with either displayreference/@to or reference/@target
> - preptool removes <displayreference>
> - preptool sorts references by reference/@display if rfc/@sortRefs is true
>
> I understand that this doesn't change much in terms of the amount of code to be written.  However, I think it makes it more likely that future output formatters will not ignore <displayreference>.

 From the preptool's point of view that makes sense.

However I continue to be worried by all the attributes sprinkled into V3
because of the preptool, because:

a) it creates cases where we have two (or more) ways to achieve the same
result, thus we'd need to state what takes priority, and

b) the size of the V3 vocab.

The latter point could be mitigated if we moved all preptool decorations
into a separate namespace.

Best regards, Julian