[rfc-i] [IAB] draft-iab-xml2rfc-03, "2.19 <displayreference> "

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Wed Mar 2 08:05:35 PST 2016

On 2 Mar 2016, at 7:42, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:

> It doesn't sound like you're strongly in favor of keeping this
> functionality.  Are there others who think it's more important than
> this?

I think the functionality of <displayreference> is extremely important
for RFC readability. From the v3 doc:
    This element gives a mapping between the anchor of a reference and a
    name that will be displayed instead.  This allows authors to display
    more mnemonic anchor names for automatically-included references.
    The mapping in this element only applies to <xref> elements whose
    format is "default".

When I was editing the IKEv2 specs, which had a zillion references to
older RFCs, using descriptive names in the references helped
implementers understand what they were reading. I have been told by
other RFC authors that it has been useful to them as well.

I understand that some names might not be useable as "to" references
because the allowed format for those references is limited; I don't
think that's a good enough reason to get rid of the functionality. If
some people can't make he "to" references exactly what they want, that's
a limitation we should live with.

I'm fine with the idea that the prep tool will remove <displayreference>
from the prepped XML if we can do so.

--Paul Hoffman