[rfc-i] [IAB] draft-iab-xml2rfc-03: reference sorting

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Tue Mar 1 10:44:54 PST 2016

On 2/27/16, 2:11 AM, "IAB on behalf of Julian Reschke" <iab-bounces at iab.org on behalf of julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
><http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-iab-xml2rfc-03.html#rfc.section.2.42.p.3>:
>
>"By default, the order of references is significant. Some formatters,
>however, might be able to be requested to sort them based on their
>anchor names."
>
>However
><http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-iab-xml2rfc-03.html#rfc.section.2.45.11>:
>
>"Specifies whether or not the prep tool will sort the references in each
>reference section."
>
>Which, by the way, is misleading; it needs to apply to any formatter.

I think you and Paul have already covered this, but I wanted to be clear.  In the current design, the preptool sorts references if they need sorting.  The reference sorting thing got pretty complicated with the addition of <displayreference>, and I want all of the output formats to have the same order of references.

Again, your tooling doesn't have to run the preptool everyone else is, it just has to act as if it did.

--
Joe Hildebrand