[rfc-i] [IAB] draft-iab-html-rfc-02, "9.9 <bcp14>"

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Mar 1 10:23:56 PST 2016

On 1 Mar 2016, at 10:19, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:

> On 3/1/16, 10:28 AM, "IAB on behalf of Julian Reschke"
> <iab-bounces at iab.org on behalf of julian.reschke at greenbytes.de> wrote:
>

>> OK, so IIUC, we're using <span class="bcp14"> instead of <em> because
>> we
>> don't want a visual difference unless people use custom CSS?
>
> For the moment.  The style sheet may change in the future.  I'd be
> fine with <em class='bcp14'> as Robert suggested, if you prefer.  I
> would NOT be fine with removing the class.

I didn't read Robert's message as him suggesting it, just saying what he
thought Julian asked for.

My preference is <span> instead of <em> because we don't know if the
default desire is to see things as having visual format or to see it as
they do today. People who don't want visual format will need to redefine
<em> for this class, which seem onerous.

--Paul Hoffman