[rfc-i] draft-iab-html-rfc-02: references

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Tue Mar 1 09:15:40 PST 2016

On 2/29/16, 10:57 PM, "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

>That sounds like a really complicate plan for fixing something that the
>existing tools have handled just fine in the past. I'd just stick with
>the status quo.

The existing tools don't have the requirement for multiple people to write new output formatters in a way that the output text look as similar as possible to one another.

All of the other sections have section numbers applied by the prep tool.  With the current XML, each output format writer now has to calculate what section number goes on each <references> section.  I'll note that I had to fix 4-5 bugs on that.  Not only was my TOC wrong by default, but it wasn't clear to me that a single <references> section doesn't get a higher-level containing section.  Example:

```
```

Generates:

```
4. My References
```

Whereas:

```
4. References
4.1 Normative References
4.2 Informational References
```

I get that you think that getting these numbers right is trivial, but we've added part numbers everywhere else that we would need to do this calculation, *precisely* for this reason.

--
Joe Hildebrand