[rfc-i] draft-iab-xml2rfc-02 - alignment of sourcecode

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 29 10:46:05 PST 2016

The "align" attribute has been deprecated for <figure> while not
deprecated on <artwork>. But if your figure is contained in
<sourcecode>, what is the alternative? "align" isn't allowed there.

At a minimum, "align" out to be allowed with <sourcecode>.

Also, I think left/center/right aren't sufficient alternatives for
alignment. At least historically I think these have been measured
relative the left and right of the *page*, without regard to margins or
current indent level. I would like to be able to align relative to those.

For instance, consider ABNF source code. I would like the actual content
of the sourcecode to be valid ABNF. That means that the first line of
each rule must have no leading whitespace. So any indentation needs to
come from the "align" attribute. Generally I would probably want to have
the rules start out aligned with the current indent level, or maybe a
bit more.

So it would be good to have additional possible values for "align" to
cover this, or another attribute (e.g. "indent" to specify the origin to
which "align" applies.

Note that all these things also are relevant to line art. But with line
art there is less reason not to deal with it by including left
whitespace within the artwork.

	Thanks,
	Paul