[rfc-i] I-D Action: draft-iab-svg-rfc-00.txt

Heather Flanagan rse at rfc-editor.org
Tue Jan 12 12:11:52 PST 2016

> On Jan 6, 2016, at 6:48 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 07/01/2016 13:26, Donald Eastlake wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 4:54 PM, Andrew G. Malis <agmalis at gmail.com <mailto:agmalis at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> Nevil,
>>>
>>> I have a comment regarding the lack of color for SVG drawings. I do
>>> realize that this should have been a comment for RFC 6949, but this may be
>>> a requirement that we want to revisit.
>>>

>> While I agree that almost all screens and printers can handle color, I
>> believe the thought was that not all eyes can.
>
> Indeed. I just tested Fig 5 from the draft Andy indicated with
> http://www.vischeck.com/vischeck/vischeckImage.php <http://www.vischeck.com/vischeck/vischeckImage.php>, and it is broken for
> both forms of red-green colour deficit.
>
> And of course it's broken by grey scale printing, which many people use
> be default due to the exorbitant cost of coloured ink.

Hello all, sorry for the delayed response.

As Donald pointed out, the biggest issue is accessibility; viewing/distinguishing colors is either challenging or not at all possible. Yes, color can add a lot of information, but if that information is not perceptible to the reader, it’s not helpful.

I expect we will revisit this in the future, but I think this is the correct decision at this time.

-Heather