[rfc-i] I-D Action: draft-iab-svg-rfc-00.txt

Andrew G. Malis agmalis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 13:54:44 PST 2016

Nevil,

I have a comment regarding the lack of color for SVG drawings. I do realize
that this should have been a comment for RFC 6949, but this may be a
requirement that we want to revisit.

Just as one example of the usefulness of color, the PALS WG recently
completed work on a draft whose “canonical” version is PDF, because it
contains drawings that can’t be rendered by ASCII art (see
https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-pals-congcons-01.pdf ). These drawings
use color to good effect. Anything with a screen can render color these
days, as can most any current printer except perhaps bargain basement laser
printers.

So perhaps the requirement for black and white only is sticking us too much
in the mud. It’s not every day that we update the RFC formatting, so if we
get it wrong, we’re going to be stuck with a bad decision for a long time.

Cheers,
Andy