[rfc-i] <referencegroup> feedback

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Apr 26 15:44:10 PDT 2016

On 24 Apr 2016, at 18:50, Jim Schaad wrote:

> I was going back through things and was wondering if this was ever
> resolved
> or was just ignored.
>
> I have a situation in a document that I am working on where I would
> like
> something better than what I currently have.  I am currently doing
>
> [SMIMEv3.2]  "S/MIME version 3.2".
>
>               This group of documents represents S/MIME version 3.2.
>               This set of documents are [RFC2634], [RFC5750],
> [RFC5751],
>
>               [RFC5652], and [RFC5035].
>
> And I really was looking for something that had the title and then the
> documents listed as part of the overall group reference, but that is
> not
> currently doable with the current grammar.  I would just need to keep
> what I
> currently have with the double indirect.

This is not planned for the v3 format. <referencegroup> is meant to add
a group anchor, not a group title nor a group description. Part of the
reasoning I had for this limitation is that people who want to retitle
or describe a particular reference might start futzing with
<referencegroup> in order to get that functionality.

You have a reasonable desire, but I don't think it will get added this
time around.

--Paul Hoffman