[rfc-i] Use of reference groups in document

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Mon Apr 25 01:16:38 PDT 2016

On 2016-04-11 14:28, Jim Schaad wrote:
> I am starting to get a pair of drafts ready for updating and I came across
> the following potential problem that should be thought about.
>
> RFC 5650 and 5651 both have informally defined reference groups done by
> adding a text section to the references that defines some reference groups.

Pointer, please? (I looked at 5650 but couldn't find what you're
referring to)

> It turns out that the same document appears in multiple groups.  This is
> going to be a generic problem since the IDREFs would be the same if one
> builds the group in the normal manner.  It might be that we need to modify
> the IDREFs when building groups in some cases.

IMHO <referencegroup> was designed with one specific use case in mind:
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7322#section-4.8.6.3>, and that indeed
is different from your's.

I think we have several problems in this area:

1) the one you just identified,

2) a general doubt that what the RFC Design Guide requires actually
makes sense,

3) and also we haven't thought through how these actually get rendered;
the instructions in
<https://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-iab-html-rfc-02.html#element.referencegroup>
would just generate an indented reference list, and not produce what RFC
7322 asks for (note the lack of the link to the RFC Editor info page).

Best regards, Julian