[rfc-i] Doing something else on April 1

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sun Apr 3 12:13:10 PDT 2016

On 4/3/2016 4:33 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On 2 Apr 2016, at 22:30, Martin J. Dürst wrote:
>> On 2016/04/03 05:47, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>>> FWIW, there was a pretty strong backlash in the tech community against
>>> April Fools "jokes" this year, growing from previous years.
>>
>> Where, and why? Pointers appreciated.
>
> All over Twitter on the day or two before the 1st. Examples:

"All over" Twitter.  Oh?

> https://twitter.com/gruber/status/715630299661656064

I do not see anything there that relates to the IETF's long-standing
tradition.  I also do not see anything there that looks like a broad
enough base of "the tech community" to constitute a representative
sample warranting anyone take heed of them.  For that matter, I don't
see anything conceptual enough or concrete enough to apply to the IETF's
tradition.  It's just a few folk spouting off.

> https://twitter.com/SavedYouAClick/status/715705105794904064

This one pertains to a specific action by Google that greatly suffered
in its execution.   Further, all of the above observations apply equally
to this one.

> https://twitter.com/Foxtrot44/status/715934640813506560

Ditto.

Bottom line:

      Refraining from a 1 April RFC because there were no worthy
submissions is one thing.

      Refraining because of some vague assessment of some vague
discontent by some tiny set of speakers about some vague issues is not
merely silly; it's dangerous.  cf, 'chilling effect' and its use in
regards speech.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker