[rfc-i] Bring Back the BR! Re: typesetting poetry

Sean Leonard dev+ietf at seantek.com
Sun Oct 11 19:12:09 PDT 2015

On 10/11/2015 7:01 PM, Sean Leonard wrote:
> On 9/5/2015 3:33 AM, Miek Gieben wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> RFC2100 has interesting content: namely some poetry. Is there a
>> way to typeset this?
>
> Yes: it's called a Line Break! <br/>!
>
> Bring back the <br/>!
>
>> If you fake it with an <artwork>
>
> That's right, <artwork> is a fake! Bring back the <br/>!
>
> (Formerly <vspace blankLines="0"/>. Alternatively, un-deprecate
> <vspace/>.)
>
> On 9/5/2015 7:56 AM, Donald Eastlake wrote:
>> Section 1.1 of RFC 6325 is also a poem.
>
> See: a modern reference!

To clarify and modulate my outburst:

There is in fact a <br> (in v3 xml2rfc-15 and beyond), but it only
appears as the child of a <th> or <td> element; it cannot appear in a
<t> element (aka paragraph).

I suppose that means that poetry, and pseudocode, can appear inside
tables (namely tables with one column and one row), but not inside
other elements including <br>. I suppose that if your poetry or
pseudocode has multiple paragraph-like divisions (e.g., multiple
stanzas, multiple verses, multiple function blocks), you need to put
them in multiple cells or rows. Not really sure about the wisdom of that.

Sean