[rfc-i] submit tool issues with XML?

Henrik Levkowetz henrik at levkowetz.com
Wed Jul 29 12:19:59 PDT 2015

Hi Jon,

On 2015-07-29 18:41, Jon Mitchell wrote:

> Anyone else having trouble submitting XML drafts today via the submit
> tool?  I've tried submitting a long draft that passes xml2rfc website
> validation (and with only minor changes from previous version, all in
> text versus any tags changed) and I'm getting the error:
>
> Exception: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'text'
>
> From the main screen.  Submitting as txt only does get to the next
> screen.
>
> Thoughts?  I saw the announcement about new 6.2.0 datatracker version so
> thought I would start here.

I've looked into this, and found 2 issues so far:

1) The datatracker didn't handle the situation well when only xml was submitted
   and xml2rfc conversion of the file failed.  I've patched the datatracker to
   give a better message when that happens.

2) xml2rfc 2.5.0 doesn't handle the case when the xml contains a <date/> element
   with an out-of-date year and no month well.  It should give an understandable
   diagnostic message about this (and I thought we'd fixed a similar error some
   time ago) but at the moment it just fails with
	"Exception: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'NoneType' objects"
   I'll fix this in xml2rfc and do a new release.

However, the error you mention hasn't caused any diagnostic data to be saved,
so I haven't been able to reproduce exactly that -- the fix I've put in place
for 1) above _may_ improve the diagnostics returned by the datatracker, but
I'd like to be able to reproduce exactly what you saw -- could you send me the
xml in question (and .txt too, if you submitted both xml and txt when the error
occurred), please?

Best regards,

	Henrik