[rfc-i] draft-xml2rfc-21 error in rnc

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Mon Aug 31 16:55:09 PDT 2015

On 31 Aug 2015, at 16:09, Carsten Bormann wrote:

> The problem appears to be this snippet:
>
> anything =
>   element * {
>     attribute * { text }*,
>     anything*
>   }
>
> This essentially says, all elements have all attributes with text
> structure.
> This of course then conflicts with all attributes that are not defined
> to have text structure.

I'm weak on this level of RNG. The RNG that generated this RNC is:

   <define name="anything">
     <element>
       <anyName/>
       <zeroOrMore>
         <attribute>
           <anyName/>
         </attribute>
       </zeroOrMore>
       <zeroOrMore>
         <ref name="anything"/>
       </zeroOrMore>
     </element>
   </define>

The "anything" element appears as a child of only one element, <svg>.
The idea is that <svg> can have any element under it, not just the ones
we define in this spec. Clues for how this should be better stated are
appreciated.

--Paul Hoffman