[rfc-i] Proposed change to RFC references

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Tue Aug 18 13:12:28 PDT 2015

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 07:27:51PM +0000, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:

> >Is there any chance that the RFC editor page will make HTML RFCs
> >available? [via https of course]
>
> No.

Please pardon my obvious ignorance, any pointers as to why?

The tools.ietf.org HTML rfcs are still just the .txt documents
(pagination, line breaks, ...), but with usable HTML links.  I was
hoping to see something similar.

> However, there is a chance that the version you get from the RFC
> Editor site may one day be more easy to use, and that we might not always
> need the tools site in the future.

Specifically, I'd like to have usable links in the table of contents,
usable links in the references, and, to the extent possible, working
links to "Section N of [RFCNNNN]" which link to the section in
question.  And of course the ability to share links to a specific
section or page of an RFC with others.

None of the above seem at present to be features of:

    https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfcNNNN.txt

so the above are much less usable than:

    https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfcNNNN

--