[rfc-i] Can the web be archived?

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Fri Apr 17 16:00:54 PDT 2015

On 1/20/2015 5:41 PM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
> all models I'm aware of require a
> publisher to Do Something, where something means registering their
> documents with a service or trying to archive a copy of everything
> they reference in their books/journals/articles.

Yup.

If the goal is 'permanent' archival, it requires formal steps, starting
with a citation mechanism that is stable and moving to an access
mechanism that is stable.  Where stable means designed with an explicit
goal of perhaps hundreds of years.

By way of example, the RFC series probably satisfies the first
requirement but I haven't noticed documentation describing how the
second is being achieved.

The rest of the IETF's materials satisfy neither of these goals, if
stable, long-term access is intended.

d/

--
Dave Crocker