[rfc-i] Draft -11 of the v3 format

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Mon Sep 29 20:44:52 PDT 2014

On 9/30/14, 3:24 AM, "Paul Kyzivat" <pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>Questions on tables:
>
>It seems that a <table> *always* has a caption.
>
>ISTM there are often times when I might want to use a table without any
>caption. Why can't I do that?

I understand what you want, but when we followed up on the details for
what happens when you put a pilcrow next to every paragraph, this was one
of the consequences.  Let's wait until we have a solid translation of this
format to HTML, then circle back to revisit this question, if you don't
mind.  It will be a lot more concrete at that point.

>2.57.2. 'colspan' attribute
>
>    The number of columns that the cell to span.  For example, setting
>    "colspan='3'" indicates that the cell occupies the same horizontal
>    space as three cells in the row above or below this one.
>
>Does this *really* mean what it says - that what it occupies depends
>upon the cell arrangement in the rows above or below this one? What if
>the rows above and below also use colspan to define their cells?
>
>I suspect what is meant is that the table defines the widths of
>unspanned columns, and that the cell that uses colspan occupies the
>space of several of those.

You're right, this wording could be improved.  The HTML spec says for
colspan "Number of columns that the cell is to span", which seems
perfectly adequate.

--
Joe Hildebrand