[rfc-i] Draft -11 of the v3 format

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Mon Sep 29 20:24:04 PDT 2014

Questions on tables:

It seems that a <table> *always* has a caption.

ISTM there are often times when I might want to use a table without any
caption. Why can't I do that?

2.57.2. 'colspan' attribute

    The number of columns that the cell to span.  For example, setting
    "colspan='3'" indicates that the cell occupies the same horizontal
    space as three cells in the row above or below this one.

Does this *really* mean what it says - that what it occupies depends
upon the cell arrangement in the rows above or below this one? What if
the rows above and below also use colspan to define their cells?

I suspect what is meant is that the table defines the widths of
unspanned columns, and that the cell that uses colspan occupies the
space of several of those.

	Thanks,
	Paul K