[rfc-i] draft-flanagan-rfc-framework-00 and byte order mark (BOM)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 18:00:43 PDT 2014

>> 1) Some apps worked fine with both files.  These include things like
>> notepad, outlook, Word, file explorer, Visual Studio 2012

I can add Lyx file import to this list.

>> 3) Everything else, including almost all browsers, only displayed the
>> file correctly with the BOM
>>
>> This included:
>>
>> Windows apps: Wordpad

Add Libreoffice Writer; it needs the BOM.

>> Windows using local files (no HTTP): IE, Firefox, Chrome

Firefox obeys the setting in View/Character Encoding. There is a
setting called "Autodetect" but that seems to be a no-op.

The same is true in IE, except that the no-op is called
"Auto-select".

Anyway I agree with conclusion: files with BOM are never worse
and often better than those with no BOM.

Thanks to Dave for supplying the files!

   Brian