[rfc-i] draft-flanagan-rfc-framework-00 and transition

Russ Housley housley at vigilsec.com
Thu Sep 11 11:30:40 PDT 2014

These comments are on Section 7 of draft-flanagan-rfc-framework-00.

Section 7.1 on the Testing Phase says: "...  final publication will continue to be in plain text only."  Why?  I recognize that the plain text document will be the canonical document at this point, but why not publish the PDF as well since it is allowed by the current rules?  In my view, doing so would allow the community to better see what is coming.  This will facilitate the identification of process problems.

Section 7.2 on the Transition Phase does not offer any expectations about the duration of this phase.  I can see reasons for it to take a long time if major problems are found with the tools.  That said, I think the RSE should tell the community the minimum duration of this phase.

As I understand the format that is submitted to the RFC Editor during each phase:
  - Testing -- tester must submit XML
  - Transition -- author can submit plain text or XML
  - Completion -- author can submit plain text or XML

While I understad that some tools might be developed to assist the RFC Production Center (RPC) in converting an Internet-Draft to XML, it seems to me that we really reach success when all submissions to the RPC are in XML.  This seems like a milestone at the end of the 3rd phase.  Such a cut off should not happen without an explicit decision by the IAB with input from the RSE, RSOC, and the whole community.  Yet, this seems like something that ought to appear in this document.

Russ