[rfc-i] draft-flanagan-rfc-framework-00 and byte order mark (BOM)

Russ Housley housley at vigilsec.com
Thu Sep 11 11:01:51 PDT 2014

In the discussion of plan text files, draft-flanagan-rfc-framework-00 says:

   o  A Byte Order Mark (BOM) will be added at the start of each file

This seems like it will hinder transition because many editors will display the BOM as a few nonsensical characters.

The Unicode Standard permits the BOM in UTF-8; however, it does not require or even recommend its use.  So, the Unicode standards does not seem to be the reason to include a BOM.

I think we should have a UTF-8 file that is most likely to be consumed by widely deployed plaintext editors.

Russ