[rfc-i] Digital Preservation Considerations for the RFC Series -- draft-flanagan-rfc-preservation-00.txt is posted

Michael Richardson mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca
Wed Sep 10 10:05:38 PDT 2014

Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com> wrote:
    > On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 8:25 AM, Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3 at gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu>
    >> wrote:
    >>> You don't want to archive RFCs on punched cards?  That would be
    >>> great! :-)
    >>
    >> They are a physically robust medium. In the absence of inundations and
    >> conflagrations, they would probably be readable after thousands if not
    >> tens of thousands of years.

    > Cuneiform on clay tablets can last for thousands of years.. if you
    > don't break the tablets.  We could use tungsten tablets.  Kinda like
    > platinum albums, but for RFCs.  Tungsten RFCs.

    > Or take a page from the ancient Egyptians and build massive pyramids in
    > the desert, covered relief writing.  That lasted for a few thousand
    > years too, and it could have lasted longer.

I think we already building the piles; we just need to make sure that
they have a txt viewer and a copy of rfc-editor.org in flash:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/picturesoftheday/10129239/Pictures-of-the-day-19-June-2013.html?frame=2594236
http://www.eco-cell.com/get-started/what-to-collect/

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF at sandelman.ca>, Sandelman Software Works