[rfc-i] Digital Preservation Considerations for the RFC Series -- draft-flanagan-rfc-preservation-00.txt is posted

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Wed Sep 10 07:44:02 PDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 8:25 AM, Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>> You don't want to archive RFCs on punched cards?
>> That would be great! :-)
>
> They are a physically robust medium. In the absence of inundations and
> conflagrations, they would probably be readable after thousands if not
> tens of thousands of years.

Cuneiform on clay tablets can last for thousands of years.. if you
don't break the tablets.  We could use tungsten tablets.  Kinda like
platinum albums, but for RFCs.  Tungsten RFCs.

Or take a page from the ancient Egyptians and build massive pyramids
in the desert, covered relief writing.  That lasted for a few thousand
years too, and it could have lasted longer.

Nico