[rfc-i] Digital Preservation Considerations for the RFC Series -- draft-flanagan-rfc-preservation-00.txt is posted

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Wed Sep 10 06:52:49 PDT 2014

On Sep 10, 2014, at 7:41 AM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) <rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:
> No, not punch cards!  Anything but those!

Punch cards are great!   You can do markup right on the card, and then just insert it into the card editing machine to make your changes, one card at a time.   These modern video terminals with their graphical user interfaces are so flat and boring in comparison.

(Seriously, card punch machines were a lot of fun for me, because they were already pretty steampunk when I first used them.   But storing RFCs on punch cards is probably not the way to go, sad though it may be to acknowledge this.)