[rfc-i] Titles for divided reference sections in non-standards track documents

Barry Leiba barryleiba at computer.org
Sat May 31 09:41:51 PDT 2014

As Elwyn knows, this comes partly from comments of mine on a recent
document that the IESG evaluated.  The document was Informational and
had only Informative References, and the shepherd writeup said, under
the appropriate question, "This is an informational document, and so
has no normative references."

I can't tell you how many documents I've reviewed as an AD that were
just like that, often with the same or a similar note in the shepherd
writeup.  I try to always comment on it (I don't make them DISCUSS;
perhaps I should), and to ask the authors to tease out the most
important references and make them normative -- especially if the
overall list of references is long.

Elwyn's trying to address this in a way that will make authors,
shepherds, and chairs less likely to misunderstand the situation --
less likely to say that Informational documents don't have normative