[rfc-i] Host names and ownership of the XML coverter

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed May 28 20:27:02 PDT 2014

Paul,

On 29/05/2014 08:40, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
> On 5/28/14 4:16 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

>>> Let's not rush into this. It reflects a major issue that people that
>>> have with the current use of the XML format that rarely is discussed.
>>>
>>> The XML format is used much more often for production of Internet
>>> Drafts than it is of RFCs. That is, authors who use XML to produce
>>> their drafts use the tool about five times as often as the RFC Editor
>>> does to turn the final draft into an RFC.
>>>
>>> Also note that drafts are just drafts: probably only half are
>>> RFCs-to-be.
>>>
>>> Given this, the XML conversion tool really should not belong to the
>>> RFC Editor, who has different needs for the tool than draft authors.
>>> Note that not all drafts are even in the IETF realm: some are from
>>> the IRTF, some are for the ISE, and some are "I just wanted to
>>> publish this to get people to comment". However, if someone is going
>>> to "own" the tool, it should probably be "the IETF" (as a steward for
>>> draft writers everywhere), and the RFC Editor either has their own
>>> (yuck) or significant input to the tool development for the RFC
>>> Editor's needs.
>>>
>>> And, yes, this affects the domain name used. If the domain name is in
>>> rfc-editor.org, people will expect tool support there.
>>
>> Indeed, and it's a tool developed by friends-of-the-IETF for use, in the
>> majority, by IETF participants. So common sense says to put it at
>> ietf.org.
>>
>> Precedent suggests that it should be at tools.ietf.org as long as it
>> is maintained by the volunteer pool.
>
> I know there is history here, and maybe we are stuck with it. But why
> should tools.ietf.org identify "unofficial" ietf tools, leaving us to
> find another domain for "official" ietf tools?

When the (volunteer) Tools team was set up by Harald Alverstrand
as IETF Chair, the domain was created for it. At the time,
relations with the then Secretariat team weren't at a high point,
but later, the supported tools went to http://www.ietf.org/tools/tools.html

Er yes, a bit contorted, and if you want to propose a rationalisation,
it appears that you have exactly one day to do so:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf-announce/o9csPR_gabYYiXBb-0kMQZvM98c
(deadline May 30th).

     Brian