[rfc-i] xml.resource.org

Elwyn Davies elwynd at folly.org.uk
Fri May 23 05:16:56 PDT 2014

It seems to me that we need to be integrating the reference lookup with
the proposal to provide DOIs for RFCs [1].  The metadata page that is
accessed from a DOI ought to contain all the relevant information.  This
can be extended (without the DOI?) to I-Ds since the metadata format
doesn't have to be restricted to RFCs.

The metadata could, if I understand correctly, be delivered as an XML
object.  Other DOIs especially from CrossRef (which might well be our
registration agency) can already be delivered as XML - see
http://www.crossref.org/guestquery/.  This would possibly allow
referencing of other documents via DOIs.  Doing this might mean
refomatting the RFC Editors info page as XML (see Section 2 of [1]).

Regards,
Elwyn

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-doi-01