[rfc-i] xml.resource.org

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Thu May 22 15:29:04 PDT 2014

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 5:16 PM, Dave Crocker <dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:
> On 5/22/2014 3:09 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
>> Not really.  I explicitly don't want URLs.  I want something where
>> location is NOT part of the URI.  That makes it a URN.
>

> Now that this thread has iterated on the theory which justifies the term
> URN, perhaps there can be attention paid to the underlying concern that
> has been expressed (at least twice) about having the string be... well,
> ummm, you know... useful.
>
> For example, what is the existing, automated mechanism that will make
> the URN resolve to the referenced document?

The mechanism in RFC2648 is basically algorithmic:

      Process of identifier resolution:

            A mirrored copy of the underlying documentation is required
            to resolve these URNs.  Resolution via HTTP is done by a set
            of simple Perl cgi-bin scripts presented in Appendix A.

The I2L cgi-bin script resolves URNs to URLs that are... local to the
server running the I2L cgi-bin script.

An algorithmic mapping to URL local parts relative to the URL of any
bibxml service is all that is needed to find bibxml entries.

Ditto txt/HTML/PDF/... renderings of the documents.

Obviously some mirrors will be "blessed" in that they are run by the
IETF or the RFC-Editor.  The RFC-Editor, in particular, must use such
a mirror when preparing a new RFC, for obvious reasons.

Nico