[rfc-i] xml.resource.org

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Thu May 22 14:32:50 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-22 22:45, Nico Williams wrote:

>>> We cannot change these documents to use URNs until there is an operational
>>> URN conversion service. Many of us have been asking for one for years.
>>
>> I really don't get it. (yet?)
>>
>> The URNs for RFCs what we have identify the RFC, not a reference to that
>> RFC, in particular not one in a specific format.
>>
>> It would be helpful if someone who thinks that this is a good idea could
>> state a) what URNs to use, and b) to what they should be resolved.
>
> I take it you're responding to me, not to Paul's comment about URN
> conversion services.
>
> First, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/pipermail/rfc-interest/2014-May/006971.html
>
> But I'll repeat myself: IETF URNs for RFCs (and I-Ds, and ...) refer
> to RFCs (and I-Ds, and ...), yes, of course, but there's no reason
> that they can't also refer to their corresponding bibxml entries when
> used in a context that needs bibxml.

In which case you're not using a URN, but just a string and overload the
meaning. It's not much different from the xml2rfc seriesInfo element.

> Nor is there any reason that we couldn't extend the existing URN
> schemes to support "fragments" to identify specific aspects of RFCs
> (and I-Ds, and ...).  "Aspects" like: specific output formats, bibxml
> references, I-D tracker URL, ...

Yes, we could do all of that, but now it seems that you're re-inventing
the Web :-)

If we want reliable resolution of RFC metadata, then we should instead
just make sure that this is an IETF service and that it gets the proper
support.

Best regards, Julian