[rfc-i] xml.resource.org

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Thu May 22 13:26:29 PDT 2014

On May 22, 2014, at 1:04 PM, Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:
>> On May 22, 2014, at 10:58 AM, Russ Housley <housley at vigilsec.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We do not have control over the resporce.org domain, so this can become a long term problem.  Since we are updating these specifications, can we replace xml.resource.org with something at ietf.org or rfc-editor.org?
>>
>> Neither the v2 or v3 spec even talk about xml.resource.org. The v3 spec describes a way for authors to get relevant references directly through the draft processing tool. That assumes that databases used for creating references will be hosted by the IETF and/or RFC Editor.
>
> draft-hoffman-xml2rfc-08 does?  In what section?  Appendix B.1 does
> refer to xml.resource.org.

It refers to xml.resource.org as something that we expect to not be used in the future. There has been consternation about me removing even that, but I think it's probably time to do so.

On May 22, 2014, at 1:08 PM, Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com> wrote:

> I can't find that, but in the meantime, please see my post about use
> of URNs for this.  ISTM that the right way to handle this is via URNs,
> with xml2rfc resolving in some fashion (in code), perhaps using a list
> of bibxml repositories' base URLs could be provided as local
> configuration.

We cannot change these documents to use URNs until there is an operational URN conversion service. Many of us have been asking for one for years.

--Paul Hoffman